There are three levels of government in Australia: Federal, State and Local. Each level is responsible for providing different services for their area:


State Government

• Education

• Health

• Transport

• Industry and Tourism

• Natural Resources and Environment

• Law and Order

• Employment and Training
• Family and Community Services
• Social Housing

• Fair Trading and Consumer Affairs

• Fire and Emergency Services


I am your representative in State Parliament. If you have a problem with one of these matters, I may be able to help. Please contact me.


Local Government (Councils)

• Local roads, footpaths, street signs and lighting

• Rubbish collection 

• Rates

• Development applications

• Libraries

• Maintenance of parks, gardens and swimming pools

• Sports grounds

• Animal control


If you have a problem with one of these matters, contact your local council:

Shellharbour City Council 

76 Cygnet Avenue, Shellharbour City Centre

(02) 4221 6111


Shellharbour City Council
Locked Bag 155

Wollongong City Council

41 Burelli Street, Wollongong

(02) 4227 7111

Locked Bag 8821



Federal Government

• Centrelink

• Child Support

• Medicare 

• Higher Education 

• Immigration

• Trade and Commerce

• Defence

• Foreign Affairs

• Aviation and Shipping

• Australia Post

• Telecommunications


If you have a problem with one of these matters, contact your local Federal Member of Parliament:

Federal Member for Whitlam– Stephen Jones MP

Office: Shop 244, Stockland Shellharbour, Lamerton Crescent, Shellharbour City Centre

Phone: (02) 4297 2285


Post: PO Box 264 Shellharbour NSW 2529



Not sure which federal electorate you are in? Search the AEC website.







Australians residing in New South Wales celebrating a special birthday or wedding anniversary can receive a personal letter of congratulations from the Governor, NSW Premier, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, and/or Prime Minister.


My office can organise these congratulatory messages for:

  • Birthdays: 80th, 85th, 90th and then every year thereafter.

  • Wedding Anniversaries: 50 years of marriage and every year thereafter.


On particular special occasions, you are also eligible to receive messages from other parties, such as the Queen and Governor-General.
















What you will need:

You will need to provide supporting documentation like a birth certificate or marriage certificate (photocopies of originals are accepted if certified by a Justice of the Peace). If these are not available, you can provide a statutory declaration. 


When to arrange a message:

To ensure your requests are processed and these messages arrive in time for the special celebration, Please contact my office three to six weeks in advance of the date. 

Requests for messages will also be accepted up to three months after the event. 






The NSW Seniors Card is a free card that assists semi-retired and retired people to enjoy an active and healthy lifestyle in NSW.

Members receive discounts and special offers provided by thousands of businesses across the state.

To be eligible you must be:

  • 60 years of age or over; and

  • A permanent resident of NSW; and

  • Work on average no more than 20 hours paid work a week over a 12-month period.

To apply online for a Seniors Card, click here.

For further information or to obtain an application form, please contact my office or visit





It is required by law that all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in elections, by-elections and referendums.

You are eligible to enrol to vote if you:

  • Are an Australian citizen, and

  • Aged 18 years and over, and

  • Have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17, you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll be able to vote.

To enrol, you will need to provide the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) with evidence of your identity. You can use your driver's licence, Australian passport number or have someone who is enrolled confirm your identity. 

To enrol online, visit the AEC website.

Other ways you can enrol include: completing and printing a PDF form or picking up a paper form my office or at any Australia Post, Medicare, Centrelink ATO or AEC office, signing it and then returning it to the AEC.

For more information on NSW elections, visit the NSW Electoral Commission website.





Every time you move address or change your name, you must update your details on the electoral roll, or your name could be removed and you will be unable to vote. 

You are eligible to enrol for your new address if you have lived there for at least one month.

To change your details online, visit the AEC website. You will need to provide the AEC with evidence of your identity.


You can also check your current electoral enrolment details online.


If you have recently completed an enrolment form, please allow a few days for the AEC to receive your form, process it and update the electoral roll.


For more information on enrolment, visit





Justices of the Peace (JPs) are trusted volunteers of the community, appointed by the Governor of New South Wales. They play an important part in our legal system and society.


JPs most commonly help with:

  • Witnessing the signing of a statutory declaration

  • Witnessing the signing of an affidavit

  • Certifying that a copy of an original document is a true copy.

Finding a Justice of the Peace:

You can search the Public Register for a JP near you by entering a postcode. The Register lists all JPs in that area and provides a telephone contact number for JPs who serve the community directly.   

You can also search the listing of scheduled JP services for various organisations that make JPs available at scheduled times, dates and locations in your suburb. 

If neither the Public Register or listing of scheduled services can assist you, you may be able to find a JP at a government office such as a local council, post office, police station or court, or at some libraries, chemists or financial institutions.


Becoming a JP:

By volunteering to become a JP you will be providing a valuable and important service to your community or place of employment.


For information on becoming a JP and to apply online, visit the NSW Department of Justice website.





There are a range of available grants, sources of funding, and other means of support for your project or organisation in the Shellharbour electorate. 

Community Building Partnership:


Each year, funding is available for incorporated not-for-profit community organisations in the Shellharbour electorate.


The program supports projects that improve our local facilities and delivers positive results for our community – especially ones with great social, recreational, environmental or employment outcomes.


For more information, visit the Community Building Partnership website.



NSW Government Grants:


The NSW Parliament has provided a detailed research paper on the available funding opportunities and sources for community groups in New South Wales.


The Community Builders NSW website has a funding database for grants from all levels of government, philanthropic organisations and trusts. 


GrantConnect and list government grants and assistance opportunities that may be available to you, your business or your community group.


Grants across the NSW government sector can be found on the Service NSW website. These grants include the Community Building Partnership program, the NSW Senior’s Week grants and the Small Business grants.


Specific grants:

The Active Kids program provides a $100 voucher for each child, each yearto help NSW families meet the cost of getting their kids into sport and active fitness and recreation activities. Every child (aged 4.5 – 18 years old) enrolled in school from K-12 is eligible. The voucher can be used for registration and participation costs for structured sport and fitness activities of no less than eight weeks’ duration. 


The ClubGRANTS scheme from ClubsNSW supports local non-profit community organisations, sporting groups, and charities that make a difference in their regional area. Projects are supported and decided upon by local committees made of local ClubGRANTS clubs.


The NSW Office of Sport provides millions of dollars in different grants each year to nurture sporting talent, help build sport facilities and develop the sporting sector as a whole.


The Multicultural NSW Grants Program invests in community projects, partnerships and activities that foster community engagement, build social cohesion and harmony and celebrate our culturally diverse state. There are several grant categories on offer.


CreateNSW supports professional arts and cultural projects at any stage of the creative process.


The Department of Education and Training's Community Grants Program works with community organisations to maximise opportunities for people with specific needs through education, training and employment. This includes promoting community languages, Aboriginal services, intervention support for students with disabilities and learning assistance for disadvantaged youth.


The NSW Environmental Trust offers a range of grants for projects that rehabilitate or regenerate the environment, or promote environmental education and sustainability.


Water Safety Fund Community Grants are being offered to support community efforts to help improve water safety in NSW.




Other NSW Bodies and Services:

Service NSW – 13 77 88

NSW Ombudsman – (02) 9286 1000 –

Independent Commission Against Corruption – (02) 8281 5999 –

Law Enforcement Conduct Commission – (02) 9321 6700 –

NSW Fair Trading – 13 32 20 –

Independent Pricing & Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) – (02) 9290 8400 –

Health Care Complaints Commission – (02) 9219 7444 –

Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW – 1800 246 545 –

Information and Privacy Commission NSW – 1800 472 679 –

Legal Help

The Illawarra Legal Centre provides free legal advice, information, representation and community education both face-to-face by appointment and over the phone.

For more information, phone (02) 4276 1939 or visit

Alternatively, contact LawAccessNSW on 1300 888 529or visit


Office: Shop 3, 10 College Ave, Shellharbour City Centre Shellharbour  Mail: PO Box 242, Shellharbour City Centre NSW 2529

Phone: (02) 4297 3111 Email:

© 2018 This page is authorised by Anna Watson MP, Shop 3, 10 College Avenue,

Shellharbour City Centre, Shellharbour NSW 2529, funded using Parliamentary entitlements.